The Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills- Update on Giggy and Snowball

by Patrick Mahaney on March 15, 2011

Well, the first season of Bravo TV’s “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” (aka RHOBH) is over, but the dog drama emanating from the finale and reunion shows is still shaking up the airwaves. I must admit that RHOBH is one of my guilty pleasures and a source of creative inspiration for my Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills series of articles (see related links at bottom of this page).

Photo of Taylor Armsrong Lisa Vanderpump and Giggy the Pomeranian
Since I posted the article The Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills Part 1- Taylor Armstrong and Snowball, there has been a restructuring of the Armstrong household to exclude Snowball. Can you believe it? Taylor’s daughter, Kennedy, developed allergies to Snowball (allegedly) and would have needed allergy shots in order to keep their fluffy (yet non-shedding and hypoallergenic) pooch in the household.

Photo of Taylor Armstrong Snowball and His New Mom

Taylor tearfully informed the RHOBH audience Snowball was going to a new home during the finale. I have to respect Taylor’s attempt to keep some semblance of a relationship between Kennedy and Snowball by rehoming him with a close friend. It is always tough to give up a beloved pet, so I expend my sympathy to the Taylor and her family.

Now on to Giggy and Lisa Vanderpump. The ‘Lost Footage” reunion special featured Lisa sharing her quest to find a resolution to Giggy’s constant pruritis (itching). There are two unfortunate things that occurred in the shown footage.

First, Lisa and her husband, Kenneth Todd, depart for the veterinary hospital with Giggy sitting in Ken’s lap in the passenger side of their Bentley. This is a common and dangerous trend for any owner transporting their pet. Considering how much Lisa cares for her little Pomeranian, I wish she would use a rigid carrier fixed to the car seat. I suggest a Firstrax Sof-Krate N2, which is a fabulous canine travel accessory in which my dog, Cardiff loves to safely travel.

Second, Lisa brings Giggy to a general practice veterinarian, John Winters, at Beverly Hills Small Animal Hospital for evaluation of his severe, chronic skin disease. At this point in the visible manifestation of Giggy’s integumentary illness, I would have taken my own dog to see a veterinary dermatologist (like Dr Rudayana Ghubash at the Animal Dermatology Clinic).

Giggy was prescribed Atopica (Cyclosporine), an immunomodulating drug aimed at reducing the body’s response to inflammation caused by seasonal or non-seasonal allergies. I hope that Giggy is showing a positive response to his treatment. The use of omega fatty acids, nutrition (like novel protein/carbohydrate whole food diet in replacement the dry food Lisa is shown feeding him), Chinese herbs, acupuncture, and other treatments can also help manage allergic skin disease.

What is next for the Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills? That is likely up to the network executives at Bravo and the availability of both the “Real Housewives” and their canine companions.

Related Articles

The Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills Part 6- Camille Grammer and Mystery Dog

The Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills Part 5- Kim Richards and Her Golden Retriever

The Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills Part 4- Kyle Richards, Khloe, Roxy, and Tiger

The Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills Part 3- Adrienne Maloof and Luna

The Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills Part 2- Lisa Vanderpump, Giggy, Lollipop, Pikachu, and Buki

The Real Housedogs of Beverly Hills Part 1- Taylor Armstrong and Snowball

Do you tweet? Follow @CelebrityPetNws (yes, the “e” in “news” is intentionally missing to fit in with Twitter imposed guidelines).

Thank you for reading my article. To receive my next article via email, please press the “Don’t Miss a Blog Post” button on the right upper corner of this page or follow this link.

Copyright of this article (2011) is owned by Dr. Patrick Mahaney, Veterinarian and Certified Veterinary Acupuncturist. Republishing any portion of this article must first be authorized by Dr. Patrick Mahaney. Requests for republishing must be approved by Dr. Patrick Mahaney and received in written format.

Print This Print This Tweet ThisTweet This

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Laurie March 24, 2011 at 5:02 am

What does Jiggy eat? My dog (different breed, same chronic itching problem) was put on a limited ingredient high quality dog food after a lifetime of what we thought was his natural condition. He started Canin Rabbit and Potato formula when a vet in Texas finally evaluated his food allergy to what we thought was the best food available. NO MORE ITCHING. Dramatic

Patrick Mahaney March 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Thank you for your comment Laurie.
I wish I knew what Jiggy eats!
On the limited images that we see on the show, he is eating some kind of dry food along with various treats.
I’m glad to hear that your dog is doing better with the novel protein/carbohydrate diet.
Let me know if I can help you with any veterinary advice by visiting http://www.patrickmahaney.com
Dr PM

ann burns May 1, 2011 at 9:08 am

Hi there,I have just watched the Lost Footage episode of Beverly Hills Housewives.
Wow, Giggy really does have a problem, but believe me I know exactly how frustrated Lisa is, I have a West Highland Terrier, they suffer with the same type of skin problems as Giggy. My dog is six and a half years old, when he was eighteen months old he started scratching, itching beyond belief, I almost had a nervous breakdown and thoughts of having him put to sleep, he was suffering so bad, the vet did all the necessary tests and diagnosed Malaseezia Dermatitis, he put him on Atopica, he has been on this ever since, Atopica only controls the disease it does not stop it. No matter what food, shampoo or anything else I tried has worked, recently we bought a touring caravan and I met a woman who had a Westie like us, this was her second dog,
she told me about the collar she bought for her first westie who started with the same problem, once the dog had worn this collar and also had Green Leaf tablets, she never had another problem, and the same happened with her second westie, I pray for this woman every single night as she was my angel in disguise, my dog is now wearing a BioFlow collar, he is on his third day, and so far it seems to be working. If you would like an update on my dog in the next ten days please email me. I hope you can pass this email on to Lisa as I feel for her and Giggy.

Dr. Patrick Mahaney May 2, 2011 at 12:31 am

Ann,
Thank you for your insightful comment. Being a veterinarian, I know how challenging it is to manage my patient’s illnesses, especially those of the skin. As the skin is our largest organ, it can be affected by so many inciting causes.
Can you email me with some information about the BioFlow collar?
I hope that it continues to help your WHWT. I love my terrier, as he is a Welsh. You can read Cardiff’s blog on my website: http://www.patrickmahaney.com
You can also see us on TeddyHillton, via: http://teddyhilton.com/category/dr-patrick-mahaney/
Dr PM

ann burns May 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Good Morning Dr PM

Thank you for your reply. I will send you a link with regard to the BioFlow collar, to give you some background to Bioflow, a company named Ecoflow that was started in Saltash, Cornwall, they began by fitting a device to cars and noticed that their mechanics were free from arthritis pain in their wrists and some other parts of their bodies. You will gain more insight on their website. http://www.ecoflow.com/
Ozzie, that’s my dog’s name, is now on day six, so far so good, I have kept him on his medication Atopica for the time being. He has not had a bath since having this collar on, this I will be doing in the next couple of days, I will take the collar off and dry him as quickly as possible, this will be another test, the next test will be when he visits the groomer, I do not allow the groomer to bathe him, I do this myself and she cuts him, I will only take him when she has no other animals booked in as this minimizes the stress level for him.

I would be grateful if you could let me know if you pass this on to any on your patients and possibly Lisa for Giggy.

Patrick Mahaney May 19, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Great! I look forward to connecting further and providing the information on the BioFlow collar.
Dr PM

ann burns May 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hi Dr PM, we are now on day 23 with ozzie’s bioflow collar. ozzie has now had two baths and one visit to the groomers, so far so good, I have noticed that he is much calmer than he used to be, I believe his stress level has reduced through this collar, I am optimistic but until the 90 days are up will remain cautious. Fingers crossed. Oh and by the way, I have discovered that he also likes to listen to classical music when he is having his bath, wish I had done this a long time ago, maybe this reduces the stress level also.

uUtWDyBG July 15, 2013 at 11:06 am

333786 755770I like your writing style genuinely loving this internet internet site . 380495

Gretchen August 30, 2013 at 12:38 am

Fine way of describing, and pleasant paragraph to get data
concerning my presentation focus, which i am going to present in academy.

HelaineJuicy July 24, 2018 at 11:28 am

Hello. I see that you don’t update your website too often. I know that writing
posts is time consuming and boring. But did you know that
there is a tool that allows you to create new posts using existing content (from article directories or other pages from your niche)?
And it does it very well. The new posts are high quality and pass the copyscape test.
You should try miftolo’s tools